Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Cat, A play in one Act.


The Cat, A play in one Act.
An image of a digital clock is projected in red on the black curtains. The clock reads 6:00 am. The curtains part, and there is darkness. Then we hear a mornfull sound…

“Hello? Hellooo? Hellooooo? Helloooooooooo? Helloooooooooooo?”
( The lights come on suddenly, and you see me getting out of bed) “Jezzus! What? What do you want?”
Cat: “Oh! Hi friend! I’m hungry!”(weaves in and out of my feet)” Hungry! Hungry! Hungry! Hungry! I love you! Hungry! Hungry!”
Me: “Damnit! Out of the way, Yes, I’ll feed you!”
Cat: (stopping every half foot to turn around, causing me to trip over him) “Are you coming? Over here? Hungry! I love you! Hungry! Hungry! I love you! Are you coming?”
(I pick up his bowl and put food into it) There you go!
Cat: "Oh thank you! So Hungry!" (chomp, crunch)
( I get a cup of coffee and just as I sit on the couch, the cat comes walking up)
Cat: "Oh! Hello friend! I’m so hungry! (weaves in and out of my feet) Hungry! so hungry! hungry! hungry! I love you! hungry! hungry!"
Me: “You could not have eaten that fast! “( I go into the kitchen,  and the dog has eaten all the cat food) “Why did you let the dog eat your food?”
Cat: “Well, I started to eat, but then I wandered over there and was licking my butt, and well…”
Me: “Fine!” (I give him more food) “There you go!”
Cat: “Oh thank you! thank you! So hungry!”(chomp, crunch)
 (just as I sit on the couch to drink my coffee, the cat comes walking up)
Cat: "Oh! Hi friend! I sure am hungry!" (again, the dog has eaten his food)
Me: "If you would just fricking eat, the dog would stop stealing your food!"
Cat: "I started to, but then there was my butt, and…"
Me: "Ok, This is the last time…. ( I fill his bowl, and stand there. He takes about three bites, and wanders off, so I put the bowl up where the dog can't get it. I get my coffee, and go to check my email. As soon as I sit down, I hear the cat…)
Cat: “Hello? Hellooo? Hellooooo? Helloooooooooo? Helloooooooooooo? Hellooooooooooooooooo?” ( Each vocalization is lower than the previous. It sounds like he is dying)
Me: “What? What do you want?”
Cat: “Oh! Hi friend! I’m really hungry!”(weaves in and out of my feet)” hungry! hungry! hungry! hungry! I love you! hungry! really hungry!”
( we go into the kitchen, I get down his bowl) “there you go!”
Cat: (he sniffs it) "It’s old! I want good fresh new food!"
( I pick up the bowl and shake it, then put it down again) “there you go!”
Cat: "Yes! Delicious fresh new food! Yum! (chomp, crunch)
( again he eats about two bites, and wanders off, so again I put the bowl up where the dog can't get it, and again go to check my email.
As soon as I sit down, I hear the cat…)
Cat: “Hello? Hellooo? Hellooooo? Helloooooooooo? Helloooooooooooo? Hellooooooooooooooooo?”
Me: “What? What? What do you want?”
Cat: “Oh! Hi friend! I’m hungry!”(weaves in and out of my feet)” Hungry! hungry! hungry! hungry! I love you! hungry! hungry!”
( again we go into the kitchen, again I get down his bowl) “there you go!”
Cat: (he sniffs it) “It’s old...”
Me: “Eat your goddamn food!”
(Again, As soon as I sit down, I hear the cat…)
Cat: “Hello? Hellooo? Hellooooo? Helloooooooooo? Helloooooooooooo? Hellooooooooooooooooo?”
I come into the living room, and just stare at him.
Cat: “Hungry...”
(Of course, the dog has eaten his food)
Me: “Why?”
Cat: “You didn’t shake it”
(Curtains close)

No comments:

Post a Comment