Saturday, January 24, 2015

Poetry

     Sometime around 1987, I was reading one of my sisters books, a book of poetry written by a somewhat famous (at the time) avant-garde poet. 
I set the book down and regarded my sister across the table.
“This is crap,” I told her.
She looked up from her newspaper and took a sip of coffee.
“I like it” she said, setting her cup back on the table. “it’s interesting”
I will admit, I am not a big fan of poetry to begin with, but even still this felt forced, like someone trying to be “cool.” 
“I dunno… I like art that makes you think, not art that tells you what to think”
She shrugged “You think you could do better?”
I grabbed a sheet of paper and a pen and wrote the following:

"Flitting, Flying, Floating,
About my head in circles,
Until I hit it with a flaming stick match.
Bulls-eye!
From where I sit,
I cannot see the people
Although they may,
Or may not
Be wandering aimlessly.
I throw rocks
And wonder
Who might scream?
In agony…
All the while,
The broom sweeps slowly
Endlessly
And I in my chair
Move a fraction of an inch
Closer,
To the door."

I slid the paper over to her, and she read it.
“I like it” she said, “It’s interesting”
 “It’s Crap” I said.
She then thumbtacked it to the wall over the table, where it remained for the next few years before she moved to New York

Several years later, I received a brochure announcing the grand re-opening of the Carlton Arms hotel in New York. where each room was decorated by a different artist. 
People magazine called it "a live-in museum"
The Sunday times said it was “a window in New York for artists from around the world"
My sister and brother in law had been working there and were organizing the opening Gala.

On the back of the brochure was a poem.
“Flitting, flying, floating…

No comments:

Post a Comment